Molosser Apparel strives to help you and your best friend expand your opportunities to be together. If you or someone you know is searching for a canine companion, share some tips on matching up among the numerous dog breeds.
Tips for Choosing the Right Dog Breed
- Consider carefully how you and your dog will share a lifestyle.
- Your established routine and environment will shape the relationship.
- Single owners, couples and families all create different dynamics.
- Young children can grow up with an active dog, while older adults might prefer a lap dog.
- Factor in living space, what’s suitable for condos, suburban homes or rural settings. An apartment versus an acre is the difference between a couch and a corral to roam.
AKC’s Most Popular Dog Breeds
The American Kennel Club (AKC) provided their list of the 10 most popular dog breeds, which has remained fairly consistent (occasionally shuffling) over the past few years.
1. Labrador Retrievers
Wonderful temperament, hardworking and adaptable. Exercise is required for this water loving pet. Minimal care needed. The Labrador Retriever has been most popular for 27 years.
2. German Shepherd Dogs
Smart and highly trainable. Devoted to family members. Sheds and may be susceptible to skin, hip and heart ailments.
3. Golden Retrievers
Excellent companions. Friendly, good with children and animals. Wants to help and to be a part of the activities. Tennis balls required.
Enviable companion for all ages. Needs attention to diet and surroundings. Snoring and eye issues are considerations for this breed.
Gentle and loving. May howl when alone. Loves to roam and may get lost. Three sizes within the breed.
6. French Bulldogs
Quiet and easy going. Usually a one-owner pet. Not for children. Sensitive to heat stroke.
Highly intelligent, loyal and gentle. No shedding. Best from a breeder. Standard size has less health issues than the Toy variety.
Strong guard or watchdog. Training recommended as is a country life. Best for an owner who has had a large dog for a pet.
9. Yorkshire Terriers
The ultimate pampered pet needs a lap to sit on or a purse in which to be carried. Yorkies also make excellent watchdogs.
10. German Shorthaired Pointer
Even tempered and a loving companion. Paired best with outdoorsmen who enjoy exercise.
Stay in the Loop with Molosser Apparel
Subscribe for monthly updates — inspiring dog tales, product announcements and special offers.